Sunday, November 2, 2014

Dating in Recovery Pt. 1

 I imagine that I will be talking a lot about dating in recovery over the next several months. I have been tasked with “dating” which is turning out to be completely different than I have ever experienced in the past. It is interesting, complex, nerve racking and fun. That is right; I said fun. I cannot believe it either.

My therapist and I have been talking for months about his idea of what healthy dating looks like. According to my therapist, “Dating is getting to know a person under casual circumstances to see if you have common interests and a fit.”

In my history, dating involved chatting online, meeting for the first time, having sex hours later, and staying in a long-term relationship till it failed. I think I am starting to like what my therapist is selling.

My therapist went on to say, “This is not a dichotomous choice: not just friend or fuck buddy. It is a grey  area, which is not a slippery slope (because I am used to those), but the area of your life that you missed out on. You need to entertain other emotions, not just sex.”

In recovery, I have learned that I can have healthy friendships with other men, which was not something I had known while in my acting out. Men were almost always sexualized prior to receiving treatment and finding 12-Step recovery. I am grateful that there has been such a dramatic shift. I was curious when my therapist mentioned “grey area” and I said, “You want me to explore grey areas?!” He laughed and replied, “Not your addicted idea of grey area.” He went on to explain that since I was molested as a kid, my idea of getting to know someone was inaccurate and not helpful. I had to take a pause…for several days.

In my book, I Just Wanted Love, I write about the experience of trying to introduce myself to a boy in high school. I didn't know how to approach him. I was scared and nervous. Unfortunately, the person who molested me was often giving me guidance on how to go about interacting with this kid from school. It makes sense to me, now, that I was negatively influenced and my entire concept on how to express interest in conversing with someone looked more like “grooming” than healthy dialogue.

Today, I am learning to say the basic “Hi, my name is DJ. How are you,” which hasn't been easy. The task now is just to speak to another man without having an agenda mapped out. I am excited to learn more about healthy communicating and dating. I know for sure that it’s all new to me and the best part about it all is that I don’t have to do it ‘perfectly’ because there is no perfect. Today, I am focused on progress not perfection.

Post, share, and comment. I would love to hear your feedback.

Stay safe, sane, and sober,


DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment