Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Beware of the "Geographical Cure"

I remind myself as an addict, wherever I go there I am. In other words, I cannot run from my problems. In my personal and professional life, I get to witness men and women on their recovery journeys. Those individuals’ paths can sometimes be quite life altering. When there are significant sobriety challenges for these individuals, I see them look for an immediate fix and as some of you problem know recovery is a process and not an event.

It pains me to see folks reach for the geographical cure, because their instinct is to run. Most often I  see this type of behavior in individuals who struggle with acceptance that he/she, in fact, has the disease of addiction; or, a relationship  or job suddenly ended because of relapse; or, recovery becomes just too damn hard and a “fresh start” is appealing.

Moving away and changing jobs does not negate the fact that addiction is real and will go wherever you will go. It is an unfortunate disease to have, but I know that recovery saves lives. I can admit that I have pulled a geographical cure, and that is how I got to Seattle. I wanted a fresh start too, and I dragged all my problems with me including an already broken marriage.

I encourage you – if you are thinking about seeking a geographical cure – consider the pros and cons. If your sobriety and/or recovery is potentially in jeopardy because you hope to find a solution somewhere else – don’t do it, at least not right at this moment.

You are worth giving yourself time to heal. Do the best you can and let go of the rest.

Stay safe, sane, and sober,


DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment